Friday 10 June 2016

Italy Part 2: Guidebooks


I always take a guidebook. I promise myself to do serious homework in advance, so I can spend my travel time looking at things of interest, and not the guidebook. When it comes to it, I fail to do the preparation – and even on the trip itself, give only cursory attention to the guidebook. From that, I conclude that my interest in the minutiae of art history etc. etc. is superficial.  The key things in guidebooks are good maps (essential), checklists of key sights, and opening times.  For deeper stuff, a slow assimilation of information works for me, best after the event. Guidebooks make most sense after the return home, when I can visualize what they are talking about. 

The danger of this approach, of course, that you miss things. On this trip to Florence and Rome, I took a heavy-ish guidebook that I already had, and bought two more small ones. They weighed down my suitcase and I hardly used them.

Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages