Sunday 8 February 2015

Wiki illiteracy

There was an item on BBC Radio 4's 'Today' programme the other day (I listen to it in the afternoon via the Internet when I have the time) about a man in the US who's developed an unusual hobby. He searches on Wikipedia for the word 'comprise', and with almost every hit he has to correct the usage. He's developed keyboard shortcuts, but it still takes up a slice of his life.

A football team (real football, soccer – I don't know about American football) comprises 11 players. It is not comprised of 11 players. The UK comprises England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (and a few other bits and pieces). It is not comprised of these territories.


Yes, yes, I hear you cry, 'We all know that.' Well, you don't. Or it seems that you don't. Even the BBC gets it wrong; even – I can hardly type this – the Financial Times gets it wrong.


And as for the photographic forums I frequent ….


This bloke is right.


We should encourage such people. Then perhaps they will start correcting 'discrete' vs 'discreet'; 'infer' vs 'imply' – and several hundred other annoyances. 'Phenomenon' not 'phenomena'? 'Medium' not 'media'?


Stop me if I'm boring you.


OK then.

2 comments:

  1. You should add using bacteria as a singular noun.
    My pet hate is 'attendee' instead of 'attender', as an attendee must be someone who is attended, i.e. the person everyone else is watching.

    ReplyDelete

Pages